Giraffes are one of the most beloved animals in zoos across Texas and America. These gentle giants are adored by children and adults alike. Historically, scientists thought giraffes were all one species, but recently it is believed that there are 8 species of giraffes currently. Giraffes are a gentle giant that have fascinated human for centuries. Here are 10 fun facts about giraffes that you may not know!
1. Giraffes are the tallest mammal in the world, with males averaging 18 feet tall and females averaging 16 feet tall.
2. The giraffe’s neck is so long that it takes up about half of the animal’s total height!
3. Giraffes only need to drink water every few days, as they get most of the moisture they need from the plants they eat.
4. Giraffes are expert tree climbers, despite their bulky build. They often use their horns to help them pull themselves up onto branches.
5. Giraffes are very social animals, and often live in herds of 10-20 individuals.
6. Although they are gentle by nature, giraffes can be very dangerous when threatened. Their long necks and sharp horns make them capable of inflicting serious injuries on predators or humans who get too close.
7. The giraffe’s spots are unique to each individual, just like human fingerprints.
8. Giraffes only sleep for around 30 minutes per day, in short bursts of 5-10 minutes at a time.
9. Giraffes are herbivores, and their diet consists mostly of leaves, flowers, and fruits from trees and bushes.
10. Giraffes are native to Africa, and can be found in many different habitats including grasslands, savannas, and woodlands.
Giraffes are amazing animals that are sure to delight visitors at any zoo. Next time you’re at the zoo, take a moment to learn more about these gentle giants and appreciate all they have to offer!
Visit your local California Zoo’s Giraffe habitat and some even offer feedings! Visit the links below to find out more.
Sacramento Zoo’s Giraffe info: https://www.saczoo.org/animals/mammals/
San Diego Zoo’s Giraffe info: https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/animals/giraffe